Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dixie or Yankee? This quiz will score your 'Yankee-ness'

Down here in Texas, it ain't hard to identify Yankees. They're the ones who believe the insidious myth that there are actually 49 other states.

And it usually ain't hard for Yankees to identify Texans ... who usually start any conversation by saying, "I'm from Texas."

But for many folks, it's not easy to discern one's "Yankee-ness" or "Suthun-ness." So we're lucky that somebody has actually come up with a simple test that will actually gauge just how Southern or Yankee you are. (I scored 48% Yankee, which I daresay is neither Yankee enough nor Dixie enough to satisfy either group.)

Wanna take the test? Just click the link below, and please leave your score in the Comments section for our prurient interest:

8 comments:

tinfoil magnolia said...

i was born in Alabama and I have never moved away but I came out as a 50% Yankee!!! there is something wrong with y'all's test!!!

gator girl said...

Born in Texas -- lived in Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado, and now I've been back in Texas for four years. I'm 84% Dixie -- very scary. I would have TOTALLY thought I was Yankee.

Corey Mitchell said...

73% Dixie. Yee-haw!

Sorry I won't be at your signing here in San Antone next Saturday. I'll be signing in Houston on that same day. Have a good one.

Jill said...

I was born in Fla, and lived in Ga, Ala, and SC. I was only 65%. Of course my mother was a Yankee from New Jersey and my dad was from Alabama.

Anne said...

When I moved here to The Otherside of America, I had to explain to my new neighbors that "ya'll" is not a boat, crawfish are edibly delicious and cussing is not at all un-ladylike.

Barbara said...

"79% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!" - Many of my answers said they were peculiar to Texas. Others said they were very common throughout the whole U.S.

Lanny said...

Born, raised and have never strayed to far from Tacoma, WA and I score 46% Yankee. Retook it because there were some answers I really waivered on. Second time I scored 56% Dixie. I guess that means I am meant to live somewhere else? But then again my daughters have been skinning the possums they have trapped lately, maybe...

Anonymous said...

36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

Well, I was born in Virginia, however, I was raised in PA. Makes sense.