Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Word of the Day: Suckatorium

I have a pretty large vocabulary, but it's not size that matters. It's how you use it. Yet some days -- like today -- I realize my shortcomings.

Today, I learned how I could have a larger vocabulary. No, it wasn't a spam message, it was an article in the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald and the word was:

Suckatorium

Now that's a word you don't see every day. I won't be so bold as to define a word I just learned. Rather, here's how Elizabeth Farrelly defined it in her article:

"A suckatorium is ... the (usually gay) equivalent of that unforgettable scene in the film Kandahar, where the doctor must examine his female patients through an eye-sized hole-in-the-wall. In suckatoria the hole is usually larger, sometimes described as 'fist-sized,' but in both cases its purpose is to afford physical knowledge without personal intimacy."

That's right, a suckatorium is a place filled with "glory holes" (my pitiful common language) where a special kind of, um, sexual gratification is dispensed. What kind? Sound it out. I shall use the word today to make it mine ... but God knows how I'll work it into conversation.

2 comments:

SingingSkies said...

"Hey! I learned a new word today: Suckatorium." Ahem...guess that's one way to work it into a conversation.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was so cool just the other day when I "made up" this word. Little did I know that there is a whole vocabulary of words that I had no idea existed. I wonder what gems I'll discover next!