Thursday, September 06, 2007

Nyet: Mayor bans excuses in his office

Tired of his own bureaucracy, an enterprising mayor has banned his workers from saying things like "I don't know" and "I'm on lunch break." If his workers are caught offering such lame excuses, they can be fired. How refreshing!

Unfortunately, this mayor is in Siberia, not the USA. We could use a little of this kind of reform in American government ... and the cable company ... and the power company ... and the insurance company ... Russia might be way ahead of us on this no-excuses thing.

Alexander Kuzmin, the 33-year-old mayor of Megion in the Khanty-Mansiisk district, has banned these phrases and about 20 more:

It's not my job
It's impossible
I'm having lunch
There is no money
I was away/sick/on vacation
What am I supposed to do?
What can we do?
I'm not dealing with this
The working day is over
Somebody else has the documents


Any worker who disregards the order "will near the moment of their departure," the mayor's warning said.

The mayor also ordered that anyone who gives his bad information will be considered to have done it purposely, and will be fired.

Gosh, how come we don't get immigrants like Kuzmin?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a concept -- doing a job that you're paid to do. Obviously, this guy isn't any of the majority of the 23-year-old somethings who have just graduated from college who think they know everything.

Love, Rita said...

Great concept, there. Now, I think that there should be some "acceptable" phrases in addition to the banned ones, like:

I will take care of it.
I will try.
I will make sure it is done.
We will find alternative funding.
I am doing my best to catch up.
What would you like me to do?
What are our goals?
I will work on this.
Would you like me to stay awhile?
I will get the documents for you.

But, is it worse to endorse the negativity or to make completely unrealistic positive statements??