Monday, March 26, 2007

A voice from the past
What if you could email yourself 50 years from now?

Imagine what you -- that is, your Young Self -- might say to you -- that is, your Older, Wiser Self -- if you met on a street corner 50 years from today? OK, yes, I know that's impossible, but work with me here ....

You can't meet on the street, but you CAN communicate. The Young You may send your Old You an email. Isn't the Internet fun, kids?

At FutureMe.org, you can send an email that will be delivered to Old You 50 years from now. This weekend, the Los Angeles Times' West magazine published a marvelous piece about the site, written by the inimitable J.R. Moehringer, one of the best writers in the newspaper biz today.

Of course, you'll have to keep the same email address for the next 50 years.

What would you say? This weekend, my best friend asked me if I ever wished I was a kid again, and my answer was probably typical of an overthinking, comfortable, middle-aged male. I said: "I wish I could have the time ahead of me that a child has. I wish I could spend those days knowing what I know now. I wish I could be wise and young. But I don't wish I could go back to the days when I didn't really know what it's like to kiss a woman, to know my own children, or to see farther than the backyard."

So what would I say to myself at age 100? Well, probably, it'd be Rest in Peace. I would more like to write an email to ber delivered to my son and my daughter on what would be my 100th birthday. Now that would be cool, but I have a feeling they'll already know anything I might want to say to them at that point.

So ... what would you say to yourself in 50 years?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I'd probably say "What were you thinking!"

Don said...

Your post got me thinking. It's a brilliant idea and I have started to write an email to myself 50 years from now. I have not finished yet. Thinking and re-thinking what I should tell myself. Anyways, thanks for this post. I will post my email on my blog :)

Love, Rita said...

You know, I have a really tough time letting go of past mistakes and resentments. I don't want to be reminded what they are in 50 years, at age 95, if I AM lucky enough to forget them.

Tom McMahon said...

A kid's message from a 1951 time capsule: You Might Have Nicer Things, But I Bet You Don't Have More Fun. One of my absolute favorite posts.