Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Heading for Wyoming

I'm off to Wyoming in a few days to launch my new book FALL. I grew up in Wyoming and it'll be good to be home, if even for a few chilly days in December. That's one way you know you're from Wyoming: 10-degrees is "a little chilly."

There are other ways to know, as a friend recently shared with me. Here are:

You Might Live in Wyoming ...

-- If your local Dairy Queen is closed from September through May.

-- If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there.

-- If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time.

-- If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number

-- If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of Salt Lake City for the weekend.

-- If you measure distance in squares of farm land.

-- If you know several people who have hit a cow more than once.

-- If you have gone from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

-- If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.

-- If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked.

-- If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them.

-- If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

-- If the I-80 speed limit is 75 mph -- you're going 90 and everybody is passing you.

-- If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

-- If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.

-- If you have more hours on your snow blower than miles on your car.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I write a weekly column "Between the Leaves" for the Platte County Record Times out of Wheatland. I talk to Wyoming authors or authors who write about Wyoming...sounds like you're both :o) If you're interested, I'd like to get a promotional copy of "Fall" and set up a time to do a phone interview with you after I've read it. I could get it in the week before Christmas or else it'd have to wait until the end of January. If you're interested, contact me at later@sybillecanyon.com
And maybe you should give the Wheatland Mercantile a call about doing a reading/signing there when you're in the area...I'll probably see you at Chickering.
Let me know if you're interested in letting me write about you and "Fall"...and best of luck. I'll send you more info or samples or whatever you need when I get your email addy...this is just WAY too public for me!
Laora

SingingSkies said...

Ah! I just love regional quirks. From what I saw on the weather report tonight, I don't think you'll be wearing shorts and a parka while there. *chuckle* Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Love, Rita said...

Shall we call the residents of Wyoming "Wyomans" or "Wyomingites?"

Have a safe trup. I have requested that our local library order your book and look forward to reading it!