Friday, October 20, 2006

The dumbest question of all

In newspapering, we tell young reporters there are no dumb questions. Well, that's not exactly true. There are some dumb questions. Today, I think the dumbest one is:

Did you get my email?

How would I know if I got your email? How would I know if I got the specific email to which you refer? What if you sent me two emails -- let's say the first was "I love you" and the second was "but I stole your wallet and your ATM card and your dog and I'm sleeping with your brother. Is that OK with you?" -- and I only saw only the first one? You'd ask "Did you get my email?" and I'd say, "Yes," and we'd both be screwed (pun intended.)

Don't ask me if I got your email. Ask me if I got your amail about (whatever the hell it was about.)

OK, I feel better now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here -- I'll send it to you again... I love you... you're the best ever ... I've never met a _______ (fill in the blank: man/woman/beast) better than you.....last night was terrific...thanks...i'll always remember you... now what did you say your name was again?