Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Worst song of all time

CNN's entertainment guy Todd Leopold has spoken: The worst song of all time is ... "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.
"I've always been at a loss to its success. Sure, it's about a 'Love Story'-type romance, and those sorts of tearjerkers sell. But the narrator of 'Honey' isn't even kind to his wife: He laughs when she slips, describes her as 'kinda dumb and kinda smart' and mocks her for crying at the late show. ... And then there's her death. Even in 1968, what kind of jerk wouldn't be at his wife's bedside as she died?"
Boy, "Honey" was No. 1 on the Billboard charts for five weeks in 1968, and one of the year's hottest songs, so it's more like "Todd Leopold's Least Favorite Song of All Time," which is no big deal. And while I'm not a big fan of it either, I'm sure worse crap has hit the airwaves, like ...

"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim ... "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice ... "MacArthur ParK' by Richard Harris ... anything by Tracy Chapman ...

Hey, let's build our own list! What would you say is the worst song of all time?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three words: Achy Breaky Heart. Maybe it was the mullet, or maybe the untied white high tops, but I had revolver in my mouth most of the summer of 1992 because of Billy Ray and that song.
And what about Starship's "We Built this City"? How did the woman who told us to "Go ask Alice" get to the point in her career where she could actually utter the words "knee-deep in the hoopla?" I could just see the aging hippies searching their long-abandoned VW vans looking for one more hit of acid to make the pain, or shall we say the "hoopla," of Starship fade away.

Anonymous said...

There is no bottom on bad. Wrong kind of contest. I gave up listening to the radio.

geniemuse said...

I like Tracy Chapman.

I'd go with Hotel California or Elvira. There's probably something I hate even more, but I don't want to risk thinking too hard about anything worse, for fear of getting a horrible tune stuck in my head. It's not worth the torture.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think "Fancy" by Reba McIntire (sp?) -- a mother dresses her child up and sends her off to be a prostitute, saying "here's your one chance, Fancy, don't let me down..." AWFUL. Or the Heart song, "All I Want to Do is Make Love to You." That in itself isn't objectionable (hardly) until you realize that she says to the man, "I said "please, please understand I'm in love with another man And what he couldn't give me was the one little thing that you can." DISGUSTING. She goes out and has sex with a total stranger just to get pregnant. Do people actually ever LISTEN to the words in songs?

Ivy said...

sure people listen to the words.. they just dont care..

I so far have to go with Achy Breaky Heart

SingingSkies said...

Thanks - now I have "See the tree how big it's grown...." stuck in my brain! But it doesn't land on my 'worst song of all time list'. I think that goes to "I Shot the Sheriff", which some bozo played on the jukebox at the dorm every day at every meal for over a year.

For what it's worth - I think Leopold misunderstood that part about the guy not being home when his wife died. I always interpreted the part about her 'crying needlessly' as the wife knowing something was horribly wrong with her, but not telling her husband. And, as a pastor, it's amazing to me how often someone who is dying will hang in there until everyone has left the room before letting go themselves. So I'd have a hard time labeling the guy a jerk.

Love, Rita said...

Britney Spears' "Oops I Did It Again" gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

I THINK WHO EVER SAID THAT FANCY WAS A BAD SONG IS A LOSER.