Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Honey, didn't I give you that lottery ticket?

Eight Nebraska meat processors will share this week's record $365 million Powerball jackpot -- which means they're about to hear from relatives they never knew existed. But you gotta feel a little giddy on their behalf, don't you? Can't you imagine what it would be like to have your life upended -- in a fabulous way -- for the investment of one dollar?

Alain Maboussou, a 26-year-old who fled war-torn homeland in Central Africa, said he'd spend some of his $15.5 million in winnings getting a college accounting degree.

"It's too early for me to retire, but I did four days ago. I'm going to be working for myself now. ... [three-month-old daughter, Katherine] is going to be happy for the rest of her life."

It took four days for the winners to come forward, for understandable reasons. But it got me thinking: For four days, what would you do with this little scrap of paper that's literally worth millions of dollars? (A co-worker says she'd lock it in a plastic bag and tape it to her body.)

Aside from protecting it from theft or damage, would it command your attention, night and day, until you could hand it to the proper authorities? What obsession with this little piece of pulp can you imagine in that four days?

3 comments:

Ranando said...

You sign it, copy it and have your attorney deliver it to the nearest lottery office, ASAP.

Then you wait four days to come forward.

No one would ever know that I had won it, no one accept my wife.

Anonymous said...

Would you tell your boss?


Or let him read it in the newspaper?

Tracy said...

When I saw this group on the news I couldn' imagine what all these different people had in common that they all ended on in the same lottery ticket buying group. Then I saw that they worked at a meat processing plant. Of course! The great group builder...