Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The ghosts of 'In Cold Blood'

“Until one morning in mid-November of 1959, few Americans – in fact, few Kansans – had ever heard of Holcomb. Like the waters of the river, like the motorists on the highway, and like the yellow trains streaking down the Santa Fe tracks, drama, in the shape of exceptional happenings, had never stopped there.”
Truman Capote, “In Cold Blood”

~~~~~
Outlanders have almost no good reason to be on Kansas Highway 50 past Holcomb and Lakin, Kendall and Syracuse … In the circulatory system of American roads, it’s a thin, black capillary, a minor vein barely pulsing with the rhythms of the Heartland.

Yet there I was, an outlander. I had driven all day from Denver on a journey that was part research, part pilgrimage. I was about to begin writing an intimate book about a monstrous crime that had splashed me in 1973, when I was a child growing up in another isolated small town that almost nobody had heard of – an abduction, rape and murder involving two young friends who were, at the end of a dark night of terror, thrown from a very high bridge. And that was only the beginning, not the end, of the horror. ...


The rest of this essay appears at the new blog "FALL," where you can find lots more about Ron Franscell's upcoming true crime/memoir.

2 comments:

Love, Rita said...

I read "In Cold Blood". Where and when will your book "Fall" be released? As an avid reader in general, and fan of the true crime genre in particular, I would LOVE to read it when it is released.

Alas, living in the rural backwoods of Southwestern Louisiana, I fear I will miss out.

I think it must have been really awesome to visit Holcomb and the Clutter place.

Ron Franscell said...

Rita -- the absolute publication date of FALL hasn't yet been decided. Start looking for it in October. But when the time comes, don't worry: I'm sure I'll find a way to mention it here!